Monday, June 21, 2010

Carlye calls her calf



Last evening i stopped up at my Dad's (he lives next door) but he was mowing the lawn, so i figured i'd go and do a couple of chores and then come back. I had Duncan's bottle with me, and even though i was an hour or two early, decided to go find him and give him his evening feeding.

Duncan is a three month old Scottish Highland bull calf. His mother is Carlye. Carlye is an old cow, she delivers lovely calves, but doesn't have milk available to feed them. So this is the third calf of hers that we are jointly raising.
It's a good system: she mothers, i feed.


Carlye and her calves live with the fold of Highlands and she teaches her calves everything they need to know about being a bovine here on this farm. She's a good mother, calm, attentive, and she's also our most intelligent cow.

So last evening Jade
(6mo old PWD pup)










and i drove the mule (Kawasaki ATV) into the cattle pasture.


Most of the cows were leaving their shady creek poolsto go graze....but Carlye and her bff, Katherine Lynn Hadler, were both still in the creek. When i arrived and began calling Duncan's name, both the girls (Carlye and KLH) ambled out of the creek. Katherine Lynne Hadler joined the other cows grazing, but Carlye stayed near. I called and called for baby Duncan, even drove over to another favored spot nearby and called there....Carlye followed me, shaking her head (at flies i'm sure, but still.......) So i went back the the spot were the two girls had been loafing, (Carlye following me to there also)....still calling Duncan's name. I'm sure because i was early he wasn't on cue, but i did start worrying. All other cows and calves were in the field, but Duncan was NoWhere. When the worry/fear hit my voice, Carlye BELLLLLOWED!!!! and Duncan came trotting!

That's my story>Carlye called her calf for me. (she's brilliant isn't she?!)

5 comments:

  1. i'm told that comments aren't being allowed to post....this is a test

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Carlye! But why didn't she call him sooner? She made you worry. Love the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Highland Coos :)
    And I love that you have started a blog! Maybe it will inspire me to write in mine more than once in a few months LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you guys must be pretty busy because you haven't posted in like 2.5 years!

    ReplyDelete